Saturday, March 7, 2009

Star Trek XI 3rd Trailer

Here's the third trailer for the new Star Trek movie. I've got to say, it has me quite excited. I think the movie is going to be great. I think it will be great in two ways, as Abrams' has been promising: (1) for the fans and (2) for a general audience. The latter is something that for all my enjoyment of Star Trek I must admit it must seek to recover.



My review in a nutshell: the music creates great drama. You get a sense of the scope of the action and you get a sense of a real threat from a deadly villain. Like the previous trailer it is clear this is an origin story and from the snippets you see from the trailer it looks like a story that will make you fall in love again for the first time with the ship and crew. I simply love the spot where Kirk sits in the Captain's chair. Some of the shots of the Enterprise look delicious for eye-candy.

One of the best spots in the trailer is when McCoy says "We've got no Captain and no first officer to replace him." And Kirk says "Yeah we do!". It just struck me as classic Kirk ethos. You can't help but get misty when he sits in the Captains chair (but maybe that's the music, talk about dramatic timing).

Here is what TrekMovie.com is reporting about the reception of the trailer. Looks good across the board. Star Trek might not be just for geeks anymore.

You can download and view all the Star Trek trailers on Apple's Star Trek site.

4 comments:

jazzact13 said...

It looks good. I've seen the trailer at a few movies I've watched recently.

For me, the bit thing will be McCoy. In the original series, he was pretty much a kind-hearted but cantankerous country doctor. If they can make the one in the movie like that, especially in the uber-tech far-future Star Trek universe, than major kudos to them.

Tim Bertolet said...

From some of the reviews I've read from some of the people who had seen Abrams' 20 minute screenings and such, a number of people felt that Karl Urban really nailed McCoy.

The brief clips you see in the trailers McCoy does seem a bit cantankerous.

I've been watching the old reruns recently and what struck me again is the McCoy/Spock banter or even a bit of McCoy/Kirk banter... makes it enjoyable and light-hearted. But there really was a strength to the characters and not just a lot of fancy tech.

jazzact13 said...

I must have missed who McCoy was in the trailer, though I was looking to see who was who now.

One of the scenes I liked best from the movies was I think at the end of "The Undiscovered Country" (if that was the movie's real name, which seems a bit off). It's with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy around a campfire. The movie itself was quacky, but that was a good scene.

I think the it was the give-and-take between those three that made the original series as good as it was.

Tim Bertolet said...

I know the one you mean, that is a good scene. The scene is in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

The plot is kind far fetched and not the best ST movie... although I love Kirk's line: "Excuse me... what does God need with a starship?" Classic Kirk.

"The Voyages..." Forays into Biblical studies, Biblical exegesis, theology, exposition, life, and occasionally some Star Trek...