Thursday, August 19, 2010

Randy Alcorn is a Star Trek Fan

Ok, Randy Alcorn fields a wierd questions about Starships and heaven... but more importantly Randy Alcorn is a Star Trek Fan. Here's an excerpt:


Recently one of our EPM staff members fowarded me this question from her husband: Will there be sci-fi super nerds in Heaven? And will we all get together and build the Enterprise?
Over the years I have been asked many profound questions about Heaven.
This is not one of them.
However, as someone who eagerly watched the premiere of the original Star Trek in my home as a twelve year old in 1966, and who still has a Picard/Riker ’92 bumper-sticker, I would not be at all surprised if we build starships, and I’m going to put my name in to fly on one. I’ve always wanted to go to the Andromeda galaxy, since before I was a Christian. I have long believed that someday I will. If your husband wishes to come along and wear Vulcan prosthetic ears, he is welcome. Of course, I won’t be in charge, which is one of the things that will make it Heaven for me and for everyone else.

I believe it was the movie Contact where Jodi Foster remarks that if there isn't sentient life in space then it's an awful waste of space. As Christians I think two things should guide are thinking about outerspace: (1) All creation displays the glory of God; and (2) on humanity is God's image bearer, His vice-regent over creation. Read passages like Psalm 8 and man is clearly the apex of God's creation. Furthermore, this says things too about what we believe about the incarnation.

I would not be surprised if we find life "out there". I don't we will ever really get "out there" unless of course faster than light travel is possible in some way that is beyond our current understanding of light, physics and motion. 

That being said, I would not be surprised if for all eternity, when we have resurrected bodies and we live in the New Heavens and the New Earth, we are able to explore more of the vastness of God's creation than we are presently able, otherwise, it might be an awful waste of space. The bigger issue is that we cannot even begin to imagine what God has prepared for those of us who love Him (1 Cor. 2:9). Thinking about the final resurrected state in terms of exploration and starships as we currently imagine things sells God short. It is not that we are using our imagination but that our imagination is too small.

(HT: John Gardner @Honey and Locusts)

BUT Randy Alcorn is a Star Trek fan! Here's another post where he mentions his fandom noting that Star Trek actor and atheist Gary Graham is pro-life. 

Since this blog is Biblical Studies, theology and Star Trek--an odd combination, maybe I'll start keeping track of those in the fields who are Trekkies. Feel free to post some links in the comments below.

No comments:

"The Voyages..." Forays into Biblical studies, Biblical exegesis, theology, exposition, life, and occasionally some Star Trek...