Within David’s lifetime:
1. YHWH will give David a great name. (v. 9b)
2. YHWH will secure Israel from wicked oppressors. (v.10)
3. YHWH will give David rest from his enemies. (v.11a)
Promises to David for the near future:
1. YHWH will raise up offspring from David’s “own body” (v.12) [refers to Solomon]
2. YHWH will establish Solomon’s kingdom. (v.12b)
3. YHWH will establish the throne of Solomon’s kingdom. (v13)
4. YHWH will be a father to Solomon and Solomon will be like a son to YHWH. (vv.14-15). There will be covenant fidelity between YHWH and David’s son.
Promises made to David for the remote future:
1. David’s house/dynasty will endure forever. (v.16)
2. David’s kingdom will endure forever. (v.16)
3. David’s throne will be established forever. (v.16)
Adapted from Bruce Waltke’s Old Testament Theology, pp.660-661.
The ultimate fulfillment of the Davidic dynasty is Jesus. In Jesus David's house/kingdom/throne endures forever. Even more, in his humanity Jesus has the perfect filial relationship with the Father in heaven. He is obedient as a son (cf. Hebrews 5). He obeys/fulfills the Law of His Father (Matthew 5; Galatians 4:4-5; et al). So that Hebrews 1:5 can read 2 Samuel 7:14 in conjunction with Psalm 2.