Saturday, January 7, 2012

Honest But Profound

I found this via my Twitter feed this morning. It's from the Jollyblogger who is battling cancer. He writes:
I think it’s time to say goodbye the Christian industrial complex, the evangelical hype and marketing machine that promises life change every Thursday and promises that you, yes, you, and me yes me, can change the world.  Hogwash.  None of us is required to change the world for Christ, Christ has changed the world permanently, none of us can do anything about it.  Everyone wants to change the world, no one wants to do the dishes or take out the trash.  I would trade every kid who takes a mission trip to change the world for one who would stay home and clean his room, treat his brother like a human being and help mom around the house without being asked twice.  Changing the world is easy, the latter is harder and far more Christlike.

This resonates with me, probably because at times in my life I've wanted to "do great things for God" all measured by what are ultimately the wrong standards. The whole essay is worth reading, sobering.

1 comment:

Youssarian said...

We want to do things that let us get pats on the back, instead of stuff that nobody gets recognition for.

"The Voyages..." Forays into Biblical studies, Biblical exegesis, theology, exposition, life, and occasionally some Star Trek...