The Sonship of Christ is one of the reasons we do not have to fear.
This continues some thoughts on Jesus' walking on water in Matthew 14:22-33. Note especially these three verses:
Matthew 14:26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out in fear.
27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”
Matthew 14:33 And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, “You are certainly God’s Son!”
1. Are you afraid that you might not go to heaven? Are you afraid that God does not love you or care for you? Are you afraid that you have some sin in your life that is so big that you might have fallen away from God’s grace? Do not fear--Christ is a powerful Savior. He has appeared before His people. --Christ in His humanity is able to walk across the water. He is able in His great might to step down out of heaven. He is able in His great might to die on the cross. He is so strong that He can bear our sin and exhaust the guilt of sin.
Acts 2:24 God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it.
You see, Christ bore the guilt of sin. Sin was laid upon --He is a perfect Savior. He is a mighty Savior and so it could not conquer Him. Death--the punishment for sin--could not have victory over Him. His resurrection is proof to you that sin is paid for.
Do not be afraid. Take Courage. Look to Christ as Savior. Trust in His person and your sins will be wiped away. It is the mighty Savior who takes these away--not your ability to trust Him.
2. Are you, like the disciples, fearful that some set of circumstances will destroy you? Perhaps you are worried about an illness. Perhaps, you are worried about your future. Perhaps, you have enemies, people who hate you and you are worried. Do not fear.
a. Christ, as the Son of God, is Sovereign over all creation.
Hebrews 1:3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power.
Colossians 1:17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
b. Even in His humanity, he exercises rulership over creation.
Psalm 8:6 You [God] have given him [Jesus] dominion over the works of your [God’s] hands; you [God] have put all things under his [Jesus] feet,
You see, through his death, resurrection and ascension Jesus has a rulership over creation. He rules not just as God but as a human. Which means he can rule as “God with us”--he can rule on your behalf.
3. Do not be afraid--Jesus will exercise his rulership with a care and compassion towards you if you are his child. As a child of God, if you put your faith and trust in Jesus--you are united to Jesus. He is truly for you “God with us”. He cannot cast you off anymore that he would cut of his own arm. He cannot abandon you anymore than the Father can abandon the Son. He cannot exercise harm towards you because you are his precious possession.
4. Why did Christ come to them? Why does Jesus walk out to the disciples on the water and come near to them? He was in prayer with God--He could have asked God to stope it. Remember what the Centurion said to Jesus?
Matthew 8:9 For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my servant,3 ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
Jesus had authority. He could have said the waves from afar on the shore “Go, stop, calm down.” All of them would have yielded instantly under His hand. Why does He go out to the disciples?
(1) He reveals who He is; (2) He reveals His power--they see it. (3) He reveals His care. --our God is a God who does not minister care and comfort from afar. Out of His care and tenderness, He draws near His children and He works on their behalf.
It is no mere abstraction of doctrine to say “Jesus is the Son of God” NO! Jesus is the SON of God--FEAR NOT!